Thursday, January 8, 2009

My "green" baby

I kind of got interested in this whole "going green" thing when I was pregnant with Sawyer. We are not totally over the top or anything but I am always looking for ways I can help the environment. We use reusable shopping bags and cloth napkins. We have compact florescent light bulbs and don't buy things like bottled water that create unnecessary trash. You know, simple stuff like that. One of the main reasons I decided to breastfeed Sawyer was because not only was it good for him and it helped us to bond, but it reduced out waste. No huge formula cans to throw away. I also made all of his baby food for the same reason. Not only was it really good for him (and easy to do) but it made no trash since I made it in ice cube trays that I reused over and over. Recently, I have stopped using store bought baby wipes in favor of a wash cloth with warm water on it. Not only do I know exactly what is going on his butt (um..water!) but if leave nothing to throw away! You throw it in the laundry and use it again. With Elliot, we are even going to take things one step further and use cloth diapers. I love that they save money, but even more than that I love that they are good for our planet. We feel like it is our responsibility to do what we can to help! I hope we can keep adding things to the list of what we are doing to help!

No comments: